|Responsible Department||Department of Food Science|
|Research School||FOOD Denmark|
|Course Dates||Two different times per course:
1) September, 2012, 3rd – 7th
2) April, 2013, 8th – 12th|
|Course Abstract||The course entitled “Introductory MATLAB” is a 5-day focused at PhD (candidate) level with an interest in using the programming and analysis software MATLAB (MAtrix LABoratory) for general Data Analysis and Chemometric modeling. The course offers a platform for students and researchers to start handling and managing their scientific data. The course gives a first impression of the possibilities of MATLAB and its structure, data handling, plotting facilities, and the beginning of programming.|
|Course Registration||To sign up for the course, please send an e-mail to:
- Jeanette Venla Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- José Manuel Amigo email@example.com|
|Deadline for Registration||Latest two weeks before the starting date (to be announced)|
|Level of Course||PhD course|
|Organisation of Teaching||5 consecutive days course, 7 contact hours per day|
|Language of Instruction||English|
|Restrictions||Maximum 15 participants.|
|1- Introduction to MATLAB interface, 2- Array structures in MATLAB, 3- Basis of Chemometrics. PCA and PLS in MATLAB, 4- Scripts, functions and loops, 5- Plotting tools|
6- Tricks and useful stuff, 7- Exam
|Teaching and learning Methods|
|- Contact Teaching: the basis of the course teaching will be done by presentations. Lectures in power-point plus examples/exercises with the computer. The students will be able to follow all the exercises in their own computers.
- Learning: Apart from the exercises presented at class, the students will be given several exercises that the must solve for the report.
- Educational approaches: This course is addressed to PhD student or advanced Master students. The educational background of the students will be different.|
|Knowledge, skills, competences: |
- MATLAB interface: being able to “move around” in the most important utilities and windows in MATLAB
- Programming: being able to understand the structure of functions and to create small functions independently; to use loops and conditions in MATLAB programming.
- Data structure: being to identify and use different arrays structures of MATLAB and different ways of creating structures for data.
- Data handling: learn different ways of importing and handling data, searching tools and data managing.
- Chemometrics: being able to apply the basic Chemometric tools Principal Component Analysis and Partial Least Squares regression.
- Graphical representation: being able to use basic and advanced static and dynamic plots.
|Handouts and scientific papers provided during the course.|
|Handouts and scientific papers provided during the course; scripts and source code provided during the course.|
|Jose Manuel Amigo Rubio, firstname.lastname@example.org, Department of Food Science/Quality and Technology, Phone: 353-32570|
|Dr. Frans van den Berg and Dr. Evrim Acar.|
|- There is no course fee for PhD candidates from ANY universities.
- There is a fee of 1000 DKK for any other participant.|
|Type of Evaluation|
|Written report based on 5 short examination assignments; work out by the participants individually. The reports have to be handed in maximally one week after the last lecture and are evaluated and credited with PASS/FAIL by the course lectures.|